Hocus Pocus was a Halloween themed variety show with supper performed by ‘Acting Up in Rye’ on Friday evening 11th October. A cast of ghosts, ghouls and witches, directed by Fiona Osborne, entertained an appreciative audience to a mixture of song, dance and readings
The very young, enthusiastic and scarily face painted dancers of ‘Thriller’, choreographed by Michelle Paine, were delightful A ballet sequence and songs were followed by three witches realistically boiling and stirring various entrails in a cauldron. Ghost stories of Rye and other readings were both humorous and chilling. High energy, glamour and a good helping of sauciness were on display in renditions of ‘Hot Stuff’ and the finale ‘Time Warp’ from the Rocky Horror show. Part way through the show came a delicious supper of sausage and mash followed by apple crumble – all very tasty and piping hot.
Of course entertainment like this does not come about without an excellent, hardworking background team. Costumes and sound were an impressive part of the production as was the transformation of the community centre with themed decorations of bats, spiders, skeletons and table lights. The catering, preparation and clearing up, would have been very hard work. Particular praise goes to the set builders. It was magnificent.
‘Acting Up’ is a vibrant group encompassing youthful new talent and mature experience. If you did not see this show you missed a treat. The trick is to catch ‘Acting up’s’ next production early in the New Year.
The programme was:
1. The Adams Family – The Company
2. The Listiners – Janet Stott
3. Red Shoes Blues, from the Wizard of Oz, music and lyrics by Andrew Lloyd Weber – Delilah Osborne
4. Down With Children! Do Them In!, from The Witches, Roald Dahl – Rowena Sterry
5. Video Games, music and lyrics by Lana Del Ray and Justin Parker – Katy Mitchell
6. Double, Trouble, Toil and Trouble, from Macbeth Shakespeare – Clare Murray, Carol Gasson and Sue Davis
7. Ghost Stories of Rye – Yvonne Hamilton
8. Thriller, sung by Michael Jackson and written by Rod Temperton – “Movers and Grovers”, choreographed by Michael Paine
9. That Devil Called Love, Lyrics and music by Doris Fisher and Allan Roberts – Clare Murray
10. Hot Stuff, music and lyrics by Pete Bellote, Keith Forsey and Harold Faltermeier – Fiona Osborne, with Delilah Osborne, Katy Mitchell, Helen Gray, Judy Wall, Rowena Sterry and Clare Murray
11. “Mirror Mirror”, from Snow White – Yvonne Hamilton and Shaun Taberer
12. The Way Through The Woods, Rudyard Kipling, Janet Stott
13. Wishing You Were Somewhere Here Again, music by Andrew Lloyd Webber and lyrics by Charles Hart/Richard Stillgoe – Fiona Osborne
14. Point of No Return, music by Andrew Lloyd Webber and lyrics by Charles Hart/Richard Stillgoe – Fiona Osborne and Shaun Taberer
15. Will of The Wisp, Madison Jullus Cowein, Janet Stott
16. Timewarp, from the Rocky Horror Show and written by Richard O’Brien, The Company
17. The Haunting of Hardup Hall, by David Lovecy and Steve Clark – A short play reading
18 Timewarp – The Company